Poplar (quaking aspen, popple) bowl (7 1/4″ x 3″) finished with beeswax, carnuba wax and mineral oil
Intermediate stages. The log (see below) had been in salt water at Sprauges Beach, Islesboro, ME for who knows how long – drifting in and out with the tide, and was very wet and very soft. This picture shows it after I tried turn it and had given up. I started turning it in August 2011; it was soaking wet and there was so much tear-out that it seemed impossible to deal with. So it was chucked in the burn pile. And this week-end (May 4th, 2012), I decided to have another go at it. It seemed to have lost several pounds of water and was now very light. And you can see in the pictures above that it turned out amazingly well. This is the log I started with (I had thought it was beech when I found it)
Mounted it on the lathe to find the center and the removed the wormwood screw and cut it into a roughly circular cross section on the bandsaw. Put the wormwood screw back in and turned it to get the piece shown above.
Actually, it was so soggy that the wormwood screw stripped out its hole. That’s when I gave up and sent it to the burn pile. In the end I turned it between centers to cleanup the outside and cut a tenon on the bottom, mounted it in the 4 jaw chuck and then scooped out the inside and trimmed the top edge. I finished the bottom flat after reverse mounting it in the Cole chuck.